Constipation is a medical condition in which a person feels difficulty in bowel movement. The medical researches have shown that if a person has at least 3 bowel movements a week is normal. In medical terms, constipation is defined as a condition in which there are less than 3 bowel movements in a week. Constipation is a serious medical condition which should be ignored. It may lead to several serious diseases., which we will discuss later in this article.
If you are suffering from any gastrointestinal disease like piles, fissure, etc., you can visit Goel Laser Institute, which is one of the best painless piles laser treatment centres in Delhi.
Causes of Constipation
Lack of Fibre in Diet
Fibre softens the stool, hence, it promotes the regular bowel movement. Therefore, eating a high fibre diet improves the health of your intestines.
- High fibre diet: Foods which are high in fibre include fruits, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Low fibre diet: Foods that have low fibre content include processed meat, white bread, fast foods, etc.
Lack of Physical Exercise
Studies have shown that mobility helps in reducing the problem of constipation in all ages. People who are physically fit like marathon runners are less prone to constipation as compared to other people. Therefore, it is advised that you should do physical exercise daily to avoid constipation.
Drinking Less Water
Water is a necessary ingredient in our daily life. We cannot ignore it. Water helps in softening of stool. Drinking less water leads to dehydration. To overcome the dehydration, our intestines absorb more water content from waste food (stool). This in turns hardens the stool.
Ignoring the Urge
If you ignore the urge, it may lead to constipation. This is because intestines continuously absorb water content from the stool.
Symptoms of Constipation
Following are the symptoms of constipation:
- Feeling difficulty in passing stool.
- Hard or dehydrated stool.
- Passing less stool than usual.
- Loss of appetite.
Which Diseases are Caused by Constipation
Acute constipation may not have any severe effect on your health. However, if you ignore constipation and do not take any necessary steps to control it, it may become a chronic disease. Chronic constipation may lead to many other diseases.
It is one of the most common diseases caused by chronic constipation. It is a medical condition in which there is a swelling in the walls and veins of the rectum and large intestine. It is also known as piles. It is characterised into four stages:
- Grade I: It includes small inflammations inside the lining of the anus.
- Grade II: At this stage, piles become larger than grade I pile. At this stage, piles remain inside the anus.
- Grade III: At this stage, piles appear outside the anus. Patients may feel them hanging outside the rectum.
- Grade IV: This is the final stage of piles and is considered as the most severe case of piles. At this stage, piles are large and hang outside the anus. This condition needs immediate treatment.
It is a medical condition in which a small tear in the lining of the anus occurs. In most of the cases, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal by itself. However, you should visit your doctor even if you are at the initial stage of such problems.
About Goyal Laser Centre
Goyal Laser Institute is one of the best clinics in Delhi for the treatment of Anorectal Problems, like piles, anal fissures, fistula, etc. The clinic is run by Dr. Sushil Goel, an ex surgeon at Hindu Rao Hospital Delhi.